As the nights draw in here at the DSC we are increasing tempted to reach for one of our aromatherapy candles to help us wind down after a long day. Did you know though that with a little TLC your candle can last just that little bit longer whilst working even harder to release its beautiful scent throw. Read on for a few tips on caring for your candles …
BURNING YOUR CANDLE
1. Light your candle in a well-ventilated room away from drafts or fans.
2. Burn candles for one and a half to two hours at a time. Burning for less time can cause the candle to ‘tunnel’ which means a build-up of wax forms around the vessel’s sides and the wick becomes deeper and harder to reach.
3. Stop burning your candle when around 1cm of wax remains at the bottom. The vessels can then be returned to us at The Dartmoor Soap Company to be refilled with any aromatherapy scent from our range.
4. The natural vegetable wax we use is so clean it can be massaged into nails and cuticles to strengthen and moisturise them, be cautious when using hot wax though.
CARING FOR WICKS
1. Keep the wax pool clear of wick trimmings and matches to enable the flame to burn clean.
2. After extinguishing the flame with a snuffer centre and straighten the wick. If you see a flaming wick come close to the vessel wall, extinguish the flame and straighten the wick.
HOW TO STORE YOUR CANDLE
1. When your candle isn’t in use protect the wax from dust which can dull its scent and cause problems during burning.
2. Our candles are made with 100% natural ingredients and do not contain any nasties. They do, therefore, need to be used within a reasonable period of time in order to experience the benefit of their beautiful scent.